The original building was built around 1850 and stands in two acres of grounds that contain a variety of mature trees given the protection of tree preservation orders. Turfcote was originally the Hardman family home. The Hardman wealth stemmed from its ownership of Whittaker Mill amongst other entities. Whittaker Park and Alms Houses still stands today as monument to the family wealth of days gone by. Turfcote was used during the Second World War to house displaced children.
In 1987 our predecessor opened Turfcote as a care home. The Home was given a prestigious opening by then local resident MP Sir David Trippier.
The development added all the touches necessary for a care home while retaining the original features of the beautiful building. These include an ornate wooden panelled billiard room dating back to 1900 which is now one our lounge dining areas and an enormous fireplace dating back to the original construction. These period features lend Turfcote the air of a fine old manor home and ensures that its interiors feels more like a home than an institution.
The current family owners took over during 1996 and substantially extended and refurbished Turfcote with the intention that Turfcote should be ‘fit for the future’. This refurbishment added many modern features recommended to assist our residents such as wide corridors, hand rails throughout, hygienic carpets and stretcher lifts. Turfcote was among the earliest care homes to adopt the recommendations of the University of Stirling National Dementia Strategy. In fact we were already implementing many of the recommendations before the report was published.
That commitment to be ‘fit for the future’ is reflected in the continuous refurbishment and maintenance of Turfcote. We will continue to innovate in our approach to ensure that residents get the best possible services and are provided with a safe, supportive environment that combines physical and mental stimulation with calm whilst preserving their privacy, dignity, individuality and health.